Sunday, May 07, 2006


You can’t call this a midsummer night’s dream even though the first line sounds like one.

Dreaming, dreaming
On a bright sunny day,
Going away from this world;
Wishing to go away.

Suddenly, startlingly,
A loud, piercing shriek,
After that, a pause,
And then, “EEK!”

I jumped up ,
To see what the matter was,
But I just couldn’t,
See, cause’,

I just couldn’t find,
The “screamer” anywhere,
And my whole garden,
Was completely bare.

Then, more and more shrieks,
Louder and louder,
And all of them clearly
Expressed mental torture.

They became loud and long
And ended in tears
After they stopped,
There was a ringing in my ears.


After a while they started,
This time even worse.
By this time I had come to the conclusion
That the person who was shrieking had got a terrible curse.

I went towards the gate
That separated our neighbour’s garden from ours
Their garden was very pretty,
And their gate was decorated with flowers.

I pushed open the gate and saw a child,
About one year old- that age.
And her red eyes were bulging out,
And she was screaming and shrieking with rage.

She was sitting on a baby-chair
And my neighbour was trying to feed her.
Then my neighbour spotted me and said,
“ Oh! Now you can take over.”

So here I am, a spoon in my hand
Reciting this poem to you,
And I wish you would agree to ‘taking over’
Oh! Please take over, do!

I know the picture is not of a crying baby but it's very sweet so I put it in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home